2/8/09

Expelled from Expelled!

Two intelligent, articulate, mild-mannered men discuss the stupidity that is "Expelled" and the ridiculous circumstances surrounding PZ's expulsion from a showing of "Expelled".




This video has attracted a whining windbag who is resorting to typical "christian" well poisoning. He, perhaps she, has repeatedly failed to put his money where his big mouth is, and has failed to answer questions. That is, he clearly wishes to fling vague accusations without any back-up information.

Here's one of this blathering fool's accusations:

"PZ Myers called for people to steal hosts from churches and send them to him so that he could desecrate them. And people did as he requested."
"Hosts" refers, as I suspected, to communion wafers. To bland, boring, crackers. Far better, as a friend pointed out, to steal the communion wine.

Clearly, this chrisfool* will not be forthcoming with factual information, so I did a little research.

Apparently, one person mouthed a bit of Eucharist bread. The individual was apprehended, so the mouthed morsel does not star in the image below.


Here's PZ on the pictorial desecration of a cracker. It's not clear that this is a purploined pastry, because the "handful of inedible crackers in PZ's [sic] possession" could have been purchased at a grocery store. Regardless, this is not grand larceny. Here is PZ's account:

"I'm sorry to say that I only aspire to be a teeny-tiny bit evil, and my target is a handful of virtually inedible crackers in my possession. It's not much, and all I can say in my defense is…it's a start. A very small start. I'm going to need lots and lots of people to rise up and follow suit, subjecting old, dishonest institutions of hardened dogma to our chief weapon of ridicule and deris…our two weapons of ridicule, derision and laughter…no, three weapons of ridicule, derision, laughter, and skeptici…oh, never mind. You know what I mean. Get to work.

OK, time for the anticlimax. I know some of you have proposed intricate plans for how to do horrible things to these crackers, but I repeat…it's just a cracker. I wasn't going to make any major investment of time, money, or effort in treating these dabs of unpleasantness as they deserve, because all they deserve is casual disposal. However, inspired by an old woodcut of Jews stabbing the host, I thought of a simple, quick thing to do: I pierced it with a rusty nail (I hope Jesus's tetanus shots are up to date). And then I simply threw it in the trash, followed by the classic, decorative items of trash cans everywhere, old coffeegrounds and a banana peel. My apologies to those who hoped for more, but the worst I can do is show my unconcerned contempt."

No wonder chrisadnauseam does not wish to provide citations for his accusations!

PZ Myers writes very well; following an erudite exposition of the symbolism of crackers, PZ describes the mysterical response to his comments about crackers.

"All of the regular readers have seen it — thousands of mindless comments by Catholics, demanding that no harm come to a cracker. My email is melting down with swarms of insults, threats, pleas, and promises of prayers because I threatened to violate one of their holy crackers. In my years of loud and often inflammatory blogging, it is the most impressive demonstration of mass lunacy I have ever seen."

Amongst chris-twits many well-poisoning accusations is one in which he accuses Dawkins and Myers of "hate speech". Chris-twerp clearly wishes to reserve that prerogative for "christians".

Let's look at the realities: there is no evidence of a supernatural deity, and there is no evidence that a man called Jesus ever lived, let alone incited the Romans to crucify him. There should be evidence of an omnipotent being, and the Romans kept records of major events.

Since there is no deity, the purported Jesus could not be the son-of-god or god-in-a-cunning-disguise, or whichever myth the deluded ascribe to.

This means that had a preacher called Jesus died on cross (what an empty gesture!) for our Bible-defined sins, he was not in line for supernatural beneficence. A non-deity-assisted human could not have risen from the dead.

Any way that you look at the evidence, a cracker could not be the body of Christ. If, however, that cracker were the body of Christ, eating him seems a greater crime than palming a wafer.

* I have no intention of advertising this idiot's channel for him. In order to do justice to his intentions, it suffices to reproduce his own words:

"Though most Eucharistic desecration videos have been removed from you tube, these videos stand pretty much on their own as saintly examples of self-sacrificial love, and so I desire to keep these videos posted. I hope you enjoy these little videos about some very great saints!"

"Self-sacrificial love" presumably refers to the man who never was. The fictional Jesus who was never the son of a mortal, let alone of a non-existent deity; and, accordingly, who could never have died on a cross. This is particularly likely since the Roman authorities made no record of such an historical event. Even if he had lived, not being the Son of God, this preacher could not have risen from the dead.

Why do the credulous believe whatever impossible-myth-of-choice? Because their slavish devotion to a delusion carries the imagined guarantee of eternal life at the loving side of the man who never was.

It's enough to make me toss my cookies!

Want more PZ writings on wafers?

No comments:

Post a Comment